Mr. Marvin Shepherd, a known safety expert, has established this award program in order to advance patient safety through the design, use, support, education, and/or management of healthcare technologies. The program goal is to annually identify the best-qualified recipient(s) for contributions to the advancement of patient safety. The individual selected could be an inventor, incident investigator, author, educator, technology manager, and promoter of safe use of technology in healthcare and/or another person with similarly recognized patient safety accomplishments.
The Healthcare Technology Foundation (HTF) will present this annual award during the annual meeting of the American College of Clinical Engineering (ACCE). The ACCE Advocacy Committee promotes and collects candidates for this award and the HTF selects and awards the winner. The award consists of a plaque and a monetary presentation.
During the past few years, individuals joined Mr. Shepherd in supporting this program through contributions and participation in the program activities. Your considerations for helping to perpetuate this program will have an important impact on patient safety everywhere.
Previous Marvin Shepherd Award Recipients:
- 2018 - Erin Sparnon, Meng
- 2017 - Tim Ritter, CBET, CCE
- 2016 - Nathanial M. Sims, MD
- 2015 - Dale Nordenberg, MD
- 2014 - Bruce Hansel, PhD, CCE
- 2013 - Barbara Majchrowski
- 2012 - Alan Lipschultz
- 2011 - Frank R. Painter
- 2010 - Les Atles
- 2009 - David Paperman
- 2008 - Matthew F. Baretich & James O. Wear
- 2007 - Malcolm Ridgway
- 2006* - Larry Fennigkoh & Leonard Klebanov
- 2005 - Bryanne Patail
- 2004 - Jeffrey Cooper
- 2003 - Mark Bruley
- 2002 - Leslie Geddes - Returned by Geddes and requested to be awarded to the best student paper. Award went to: Mellissa Burns
- 2001 - Jeffrey Cooper
- 2000 - Steven Juett
- 1999 - David Francoeur (First Recipient)
* In 2006 the Devteq Safety Award was moved to the HTF and renamed as the Marvin Shepherd Patient Safety Award.